The 1960s brought major chances to Morganton and Burke County.
Taken from the City of Morganton Citizen's Newsletter "City Pride," November 2004
We were Freshman's at Good Old GAHS
"Comments from 1957"
Here are some more interesting bits of history with comments made in the year 1957.
1. I’ll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it’s going to be impossible to buy a week’s groceries for $20.
2. If cigarettes keep going up in price, I’m going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous.
3. Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?
4. If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.
5. When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost
29 cents a gallon.
Guess we’d be better off leaving the car in the garage.
6. Kids today are impossible. Those ducktail haircuts make it impossible to stay
Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls.
7. I read the other day where some scientist thinks it is possible to put a man
on the moon by the end of the century.
They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.
8. Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a
year just to play ball?
It wouldn’t surprise me if someday they’ll be making more than the president.
9. I never thought I’d see the day that all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.
10: It’s too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.
11. It won’t be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.
12. Marriage doesn’t mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat.
13. I’m just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.
14. Thank goodness I won’t live to see the day when the government takes half of
our income in taxes.
I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people in congress.
15. The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.
16. There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel.
17. No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood.
18. If they think I’ll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.
— by Skip Westphal from Church of God News, March 2005, No. 22
Back to Home Page